Etikett Psychosomatisch

• Themenstarter Luft
  • Erstellt am

Luft

madinamerica

Turning Patients into Numbers
By Bridget Mildon
April 18, 2015

Bridget Mildon is President and Founder of FND Hope, …. She has submitted commentary to the pertinent work groups connected with DSM and ICD coding changes, and a response in the British Medical Journal advocating for those with medically unexplained symptoms.
Imagine your life turned upside down with chronic symptoms like fatigue, stroke-like symptoms, brain fog, sharp chest pain, coughing up blood … and doctors can’t seem to figure out what is wrong. Then imagine your feelings when one of the doctors decides that this spectrum of symptoms is psychosomatic or “all in your head.”

I felt persecuted from the moment I was given a psychosomatic label. I found myself hostage to a diagnosis that I hadn’t even known existed: “conversion disorder.” Even though the diagnosis was hidden deep within my medical file under piles of negative test results, it seemed to reveal itself at each new doctors appointment or ER visit. This diagnostic code was now part of me as if it were a scarlet letter on my forehead.

I was trapped not only by my pain and debilitating symptoms, but also by physicians who didn’t know how to provide effective care. In my most delicate state of mind and body, I was authoritatively told: I must trust and accept a mental health diagnosis in order to be cured.

I began scrutinizing and searching for skeletons in my closet, looking for a reason, an answer, anything, which I hoped would lead to my cure. I found myself lost in a world of medical uncertainty. I was an average carpooling mom going about my life until a trigger was pulled and entrapment of my body began. And make no mistake: it is an entrapment, which doctors since the 19th Century have attributed to suppressed emotional trauma, despite a lack of medical evidence.

After trying to uncover hidden or suppressed trauma to no avail and after years of illness, why wouldn’t I question this veneer of authority? Yet, patients like me are routinely told it is they themselves who cannot be trusted. Like me, they are said to be caught up in an illusion of fabricated symptoms crafted from unconscious trauma and their own pretense. They have built their illness out of myths, on a foundation of emotional escape or make believe.

I had sought out a doctor with hopes of getting my life back. But I became ever more confused as he confiscated my self-trust — the last fiber of my being that I had tightly held, guarded, and protected because it was all I had left. It was my soul that was afflicted the worst by psychiatric stigma, banished to solitary confinement, a horrible atrocity from which I had no escape.

There are many ways a doctor can deliver a psychosomatic diagnosis. Some physicians delicately pry self-assurance from the patient’s weak finger tips, consoling with a gentle tone and offering a warm smile. Others cavalierly rip it from the patient’s grasp with purpose and supremacy, when the patient least expects it. Some use an element of surprise, sneaking psychosomatic labels into medical records but failing to discuss them with their patient, so as not to be asked to justify their action.

I was damaged after a neurologist pick-pocketed down through my deepest layers of self and rifled through all my emotions, confiscating the last ounce of self-respect I had left. This theft left my mind fearfully exposed in complete nakedness, silently crying out for emotional security and yearning for my doctor to provide me with a definitive care plan. I was then left alone with a “care plan” that amounted to little beyond the reassurance that my cure lay with psychosomatic acceptance.

In order to “accept” a somatoform illness diagnosis, I would be required to abandon my inner self. I must sever all internal ties and deny the opinion of my most insightful observer - the self. After spending my entire life picking through my faults and analyzing my every move, I must now let go of everything I knew to be true about me. I must declare that my mind and what I feel is a lie. Instead, I must trust the authority of someone who knows very little about me, in order to be “cured.”

The professional who proclaims this strange notion of truth now gets to hold my health for ransom. After a psychosomatic diagnosis enters medical records, all further medical investigation and care are compromised.

bitte, vielleicht kann jemand - alibiorangerl ? - einen guten Übersetzungs-Link anfügen. Ich weiß nicht, wie das geht. Danke

Du hast diesen Text vermutlich selber gelesen, Luft, oder?

Was hast du denn für dich da herausgelesen oder verstanden?

Gerd

.​

Du hast diesen Text vermutlich selber gelesen, Luft, oder?
Was hast du denn für dich da herausgelesen oder verstanden?
Gerd, ich verstehe die Frage nicht. Sicher habe ich den Text gelesen, ich stelle nichts ins Forum, dessen Inhalt ich nicht kenne. Aber gut.

Ich denke, daß das, was die Autorin beschreibt, was dieser Automatismus mit einem macht - die Tests sind negativ, also muß es psychosomatisch sein - diese Erfahrung machen viele. Darum hielt ich es für Wert mitzuteilen. Ich finde wichtig, daß das zur Sprache gebracht wird, immer wieder.
Stellen sie sich vor, Ihr Leben wird durch chronische Beschwerden auf den Kopf gestellt mit Müdigkeit, schlaganfall-artigen Symptomen, brain fog, scharfen Schmerzen in der Brust, Bluthusten.... und die Ärzte scheinen nicht in der Lage zu sein herauszufinden, was los ist. Stellen Sie sich weiter vor, wie sie sich fühlen, wenn einer der Ärzte dann entscheidet, dass dieses Spektrum an Symptomen psychosomatisch ist, eben "alles nur in deinem Kopf."...

.... dass meine Heilung im Akzeptierten der psychosomatischen Diagnose liegen sollte.

Ich hatte zuzugeben, dass mein Geist und das, was ich selber fühle, eine Lüge war. Stattdessen mußte ich, um „geheilt zu werden“, der Autorität von jemandem trauen, der sehr wenig über mich weiß.
Ich weiß nicht, was es daran zu erklären gibt? Wie schrecklich das ist, wenn die Ursachen von Beschwerden nicht nach allen Regeln der Kunst geklärt werden, bevor es eine Diagnose gibt.
So war ich nicht nur in meinen Schmerzen und den quälenden Symptome gefangen, sondern auch durch Ärzte, die nicht wußten, wie man Patienten effektiv betreut.
daß man sich vom Arzt verraten fühlt, der doch eigentlich auf Seiten des Patienten stehe sollte.
Sobald eine psychosomatische Diagnose Eingang in die medizinische Akte gefunden hat, sind alle weiteren medizinischen Untersuchungen und die Versorgung gefährdet.
Auch das ist ein Unding, wohl aber häufige Realität.

Danke für die Antwort, Luft.

Nun, meine Frage war genau danach, was du schreibst.
Wenn man einen Text liest, dann fällt einem ja irgendwas besonders auf, oder erscheint einem wichtig, sonst würde man ihn nicht hier einstellen wollen. Nur weiß das erstmal niemand, was einem wichtig, besonders oder einfach interessant erscheint. Ich kenne z.B. deine Ansichten im allgemeinen nicht, auch wenn ich deinen Namen hier schon öfter gesehen habe.
So sehe ich dann nur einen englischen Text, den ich nicht wirklich lesen kann, ohne einige Wörter zu übersetzen/rauszusuchen, wobei ich eben noch gar nicht weiß, worum es eigentlich dabei geht ...

So war das - Gerd

Ergänzung

Nach 5 Jahren Ärzteodyssee lautete die Diagnose der Autorin schließlich Sneddon's Syndrom.
Nachdem ich bei unzähligen Ärzten war, wurde nach 5 Jahren das Sneddon’s Syndrom diagnostiziert. Ich betrachte mich als glücklich, denn im Durchschnitt vergehen 7 Jahre, bis die Diagnose gestellt wird.
Sneddon’s Syndrom ist eine Kombination aus Gefäßveränderungen/ Vasculitis, TIAs (Transienten ischämischen Attacken der Gehirngefäße) und Kopfschmerzen. Es ist besonders mit Autoimmunerkrankungen assoziiert.

Oben